All UK employers who want to employ workers from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) under the points-based system will need to apply to the Home Office for a sponsor license. Depending on your organisation and business needs you may need to apply for licences to sponsor migrants in Tiers 2 and/or 5.
To get a licence, you will need to apply to the Home Office by:
- Register online with your name and email address
- Complete the application online (You must make the application yourself online)
- Pay the correct fee
- Provide proof that you are based in the UK (see Appendix A for supporting documents)
- Provide original or certified copies of the documents listed in Appendix A, to establish that you are genuine and operating or trading lawfully in the UK
- Meet the suitability criteria
- Demonstrate there are no reasons that you represent a threat to immigration control
- Agree to comply with the duties of sponsorship.
Your application will processed by the Home Office who will undertake all the necessary checks before serving a decision. If your application is approved you will be issued with a sponsor licence valid for four years. Your organisation name and rating will be published on the register of sponsors.
It is important before you apply for a licence, that you check whether you are eligible to be a sponsor, and ensure that you have the right human resource (HR) systems in place to comply with your sponsorship duties.