Applying for a licence

All UK employers who want to employ workers from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) under the points-based system will need to apply to the Home Office for a sponsor license. Depending on your organisation and business needs you may need to apply for licences to sponsor migrants in Tiers 2 and/or 5.

To get a licence, you will need to apply to the Home Office by:

  • Register online with your name and email address
  • Complete the application online (You must make the application yourself online)
  • Pay the correct fee
  • Provide proof that you are based in the UK (see Appendix A for supporting documents)
  • Provide original or certified copies of the documents listed in Appendix A, to establish that you are genuine and operating or trading lawfully in the UK
  • Meet the suitability criteria
  • Demonstrate there are no reasons that you represent a threat to immigration control
  • Agree to comply with the duties of sponsorship.

Your application will processed by the Home Office who will undertake all the necessary checks before serving a decision. If your application is approved you will be issued with a sponsor licence valid for four years. Your organisation name and rating will be published on the register of sponsors.

It is important before you apply for a licence, that you check whether you are eligible to be a sponsor, and ensure that you have the right human resource (HR) systems in place to comply with your sponsorship duties.