Tier 5 under the points-based system covers the following:
TIER 5 (YOUTH MOBILITY SCHEME) This is designed for young people, aged between 18 and 30 who are from one of the participating countries (currently)
- New Zealand; or are
- A British overseas citizen,
- British overseas territories citizen or
- A British national (overseas)
The opportunity to work temporarily while experiencing life in the UK. Application under the Youth Mobility Scheme are not required to be sponsored however you will need to meet the following requirements:
- Are 18 years old or over when your visa is issued (becomes valid) and under 31 years old when you apply
- Have £1,600 in available funds when you apply
If you have children under 18 years old who are either living with you, or you are financially responsible for; and you have been in the UK at any other time as a working holidaymaker or under the youth mobility scheme you are unable to apply. You cannot apply for the youth mobility scheme if you are already in the UK.
If you enter under the UK under the youth mobility scheme the maximum time you can spend is 24 months. During your stay you are not allowed to switch into any other category of the points-based system or in to a visitor route.
TIER 5 (TEMPORARY WORKERS)
In order to enter he UK under Tier 5 you must be sponsored by UK organisation that holds a Tier 5 sponsor licence. The following schemes are currently open:
TIER 5 (TEMPORARY WORKERS) – CREATIVE AND SPORTING.
This category is for those who come to the UK to work or perform as sports people, entertainers or creative artists for the following periods of time:
- Sports people – up to a maximum of 12 months
- Creative artists – up to an initial period of 12 months, with the option to extend up to a maximum of 24 months in total.
TIER 5 (TEMPORARY WORKERS) – CHARITY WORKERS.
This category is for those coming to work temporarily in the UK as charity workers undertaking voluntary activity and not paid employment.
TIER 5 (TEMPORARY WORKERS) – RELIGIOUS WORKERS.
This category is for those coming to work temporarily in the UK as:
- A religious worker where their duties may include preaching, pastoral and non-pastoral work; or
- A visiting religious worker who is employed overseas in the same capacity as they are seeking to come to the UK to work, although the exact detail of their duties in the UK may differ. This employment should be ongoing and the time spent in the UK should be consistent with a break from their employment.
- A member of a religious order such as a monastic community of monks/nuns or a similar religious community involving a permanent commitment.
TIER 5 (TEMPORARY WORKERS) – GOVERNMENT AUTHORISED EXCHANGE.
This category is for those coming to the UK through approved schemes that aim to share knowledge, experience and best practice. Under the government authorised exchange sub-category you will be given a maximum of 24 months permission to stay.
TIER 5 (TEMPORARY WORKERS) – INTERNATIONAL AGREEMENT.
This category is for those who are coming to the UK under contract to provide a service that is covered under international law, including:
- The General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS);
- Similar agreements between the UK and another country;
- Employees of overseas governments and international organisations; and
- Private servants in diplomatic households.
The period of leave granted will vary depending on the subcategory of Tier 5 you apply under.