This route is only available for individuals who are Commonwealth citizen and are able to prove at least one of their grandparents:
- Was born In the UK (including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man); or
- Before 31 March 1922 was born in what is now the Republic of Ireland; or
- Was born on a British-registered ship or aircraft.
In addition you must satisfy the following requirements:
- Are aged 17 or over
- Are able to work and intend to work in the UK
- Can adequately support and accommodate yourself and your dependants without help from public funds.
If you intend to apply on the basis of your UK ancestry, you must be outside the UK and obtain a visa before you travel to the UK. You cannot apply to 'switch' into this category if you are already in the UK in a different immigration category.
If your application is successful you will be granted a visa for 5 years. If you live and work continuously in the UK for 5 years in this category, and if you still continue to meet the UK ancestry requirements, you can apply to settle in the UK permanently (also known as indefinite leave to remain).